The Write Stuff. Grammarly: How to Sound Super Smart Without Even Trying (Much).

Note: I used Grammarly to Grammar Check this post, because I want to make my English Teacher think I valued her efforts instead of passing notes in class. 

Being a writer has the obvious problem that people expect me to be an expert on writing. The moment you get a byline or a blog header, you are expected to become a veritable savant of the English language. This is like saying that just because I can make change, I’m an expert mathematician.

The truth is that when it comes to writing I’m more train of thought, slip of the tongue, than scholarly. I like to write in a sort of flowing mess of words and feelings and hope that somehow the majority of readers – okay, some of them – can make sense of it all.

If my participles are dangling I don’t want to know about it. That sort of worry just trips a person up.

Harder still is proofreading. On the surface, proofreading is simple. All you need to do is read over the words you have written and insure they are not a hot mess of grammatical and spelling errors. In truth, it is ridiculously easy to catch OTHER PEOPLE’S mistakes and virtually impossible, after a point, to see your own.

Along comes Grammarly, a wonderful and much needed service designed to save bloggers from the all-too-fallible act of proofreading themselves.While it might be argued that proofreading isn’t “thatimportant, that readers understand and forgive typos and that you can always edit or clarify a correction after the fact I think there is something to be said for prevention.

Just ask the person who was lauded as the new head of “Pubic Relations" in a company wide publication.

Grammarly. Not only saves your writing but your reputation.

No comments: